The BPS Qualifications in Test Use
The BPS provides qualifications in psychometric and psychological testing in Occupational (HR), Educational and Forensic contexts.
Who are the BPS qualifications in test use for?
The BPS qualifications in test use have been designed for professionals who use psychometric or psychological tests as part of their role, for example:
Occupational professionals working in HR departments, employment agencies or consultancies offering testing services, whose role involves testing for personnel selection, development or career guidance and advice.
Educational professionals working in schools or for local authorities, whose role involves testing children to understand their strengths and specific learning needs.
Professionals working in forensic contexts such as prisons, secure hospitals, court or probation services, whose role involves assessing offenders' risk of reoffending.
What are the benefits of holding a BPS qualification in test use?
Holders of the BPS qualifications in test use receive:
- A nationally recognised qualification in test use, recognised by employers throughout the UK, and increasingly internationally
- Membership of the BPS’ Register of Qualifications in Test Use (RQTU)
- Free online access to reviews of over 150 psychological / psychometric tests
- Access to psychological and psychometric tests that would otherwise be restricted
- Eligible holders of a BPS Test User: Educational, Ability/Attainment (CCET) qualification may complete a relevant course to become a specialist assessor to progress and write reports for access arrangements.
- Quarterly editions of Assessment & Development Matters (ADM) delivered to you and available online at the PTC website
- Discounted rates on five Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) training courses
- Free e-Subscription to the BPS
For more information about the BPS qualifications in test use, including fee levels and how to apply, please see:
The qualification structure and detailed information about test user competencies can be downloaded from the Test User's Handbook.
If you are interested in knowing what individuals qualified at the different levels are able to do when they hold any of the qualifications above and have a current entry on the Register of Qualifications in Test Use (RQTU), please download the Description of Test User Roles guidance.
The following publications may provide useful background reading to those thinking about training and assessment as a competent test user. Please note these publications outline the BPS test user competencies which comprised former test user qualifications. Whilst many of the competencies are similar under the new test user qualification scheme, there will be some differences.
Educational Testing A Competence-Based Approach
James Boyle & Stephen Fisher
December 2006 / 240 pages / ISBN 978 -1-4051-4659-3 £25.99 (20% discount for BPS Members)