How to apply for a BPS qualification in test use
I've read The BPS Qualifications in Test Use Leaflet, and can see that holding a qualification would benefit my working practice. What do I do next?
- Identify the level of training to which you wish to be trained (see The BPS Qualifications in Test Use Leaflet for a description of the competencies associated with each qualification).
- Find a training course provider, by visiting the Directory of Providers: Assessment/Training.
- Contact the training provider and arrange to undertake relevant training. (Please check with the provider that the course and the assessment you wish to undertake will lead to a BPS qualification).
- On successful assessment of your competence following completion of the training course, your trainer/Assessor will ask you to fill in and sign a consent form. Your Assessor will then send an electronic affirmation of your competence in the qualification to the BPS.
- The BPS will send you an invoice, and you pay a fee to have your qualification registered and an annual fee for your entry on the BPS’ Register of Qualifications in Test Use (RQTU). See The BPS Qualifications in Test Use Leaflet for details of the fee for each qualification.
- The BPS issues you your certificate in the qualification you have gained, enters you onto the RQTU and allows you access to the RQTU member benefits.
- Each year, you affirm your continued competence in test use
For more information about the BPS qualifications in test use, including fee levels and how to apply, please see:
The Test Users' Handbook provides further information for those seeking training and assessment leading to eligibility for one or more of the Society's qualifications in test use, including description of the modules and the topics covered in each module of the test user qualifications in Educational, Occupational and Forensic settings.
For existing test users this guidance is also aimed at those who want to further develop their knowledge and skills in this area.
An overview of what test users are able to do when they hold a BPS qualification in test use can be accessed in the Training and Research area of the website.
Information for Training Course Providers
How do I apply to run a BPS training course in test use?
BPS training courses in test use are run by BPS Verified Assessors, who are:
- Chartered Members of the BPS and;
- hold a BPS Qualification in Test Use in the relevant Test User Level and;
- are current members of the Register of Qualifications in Test Use (RQTU)
If you meet the above criteria, you can apply to become a BPS Verified Assessor by going through the following verification process:
- Prepare your training course assessment materials and model answers, using the relevant Guidance for Assessor form(s) to guide you (see ‘Documentation’ section below).
- Send completed Assessors Application Form for New Applicants (see ‘Documentation’ section below) to the Psychological Testing Centre (PTC) at [email protected].
- The PTC will issue you with an invoice for the relevant verification fee (see Assessors schedule of fees).
- On payment of the fee, you will be allocated two BPS Verifiers. (Verifiers review applicants’ assessment materials to ensure that they meet all of the BPS qualification competency standards).
- Send copies of your assessment materials, model answers and completed Guidance for Assessor form(s) to your Verifiers.
- Meet with your Verifiers to discuss your assessment materials and any changes required.
- Make any changes required to your materials.
- On completion of verification process you will be awarded BPS Verified Assessor status with the ability to affirm test users’ competence to receive the BPS qualifications in test use. The verification lasts for a period of five years at which point it may be renewed.
For full details of how to become a BPS Verified Assessor, and for explanation of the roles and responsibilities of Verified Assessors, Delegated Assessors and Verifiers, please see The Assessors' Handbook.
Documentation for Assessors who wish to apply to become BPS Verified Assessors
New Applicants applying for the first time to become Verified Assessors should fill in the Assessors Application Form for New Applicants
Guidance for Assessor forms
The below Guidance for Assessors Forms describe the competencies associated with each of the BPS qualifications in test use. These forms should be used to indicate how each competency is assessed in your assessment materials.
Educational Qualifications in Test Use Guidance Forms
Forensic Qualifications in Test Use Guidance Forms
Occupational Qualifications in Test Use Guidance Forms
Application forms for Assessors who are already Verified
Verified Assessors who are applying to renew their Verified Assessor's certificate should fill in the Assessors Application Form for Re-Verification
Application Form to add Delegated Assessors
Verified Assessors who wish to introduce delegated assessment, change their existing delegated assessment practices, or wish to nominate new delegated Assessors should fill in the Statement of Delegated Assessment Form
Application Form to add Assistant Assessors
BPS Verified Assessors who wish to apply to have one or more Assistant Assessors should fill in the Assistant Assessor Application Form
More information about the Assistant Assessor grade can be found here
The Assessor’s Schedule of Fees outlines the fees payable for Verification, Quality Assurance and Reconfirmation. Please visit the glossary of terms in the Assessor's Handbook for an explanation of these terms.
If you have any enquiries relating to Verification, please contact us.